Saturday, May 14, 2011

Boom Boom Pau?..

AP Photo/Chris Pizzello
How easy is it for LA sports fans to forget? Yes, I understand that the Lakers greatly underachieved as a team, but does that mean we should blow it up? Everyone is pointing fingers at Pau Gasol, the player we acquired in 2008 and is one of the biggest reasons why we went to three straight NBA finals and winning two of them. Now, just because the Lakers got swept by the Dallas Mavericks, everyone in LA is trying to push him out. Yes, I understand that the Lakers are a rich franchise and the Lakers fan base are accustomed to LA winning, but news flash people!! Lakers were bound to lose sooner or later, and honestly, if you watched the series, Dallas just wanted it more. They made the big shots, they made the adjustments needed to defend the Lakers. PERIOD This isn't golf, this isn't tennis, its not just one player, its about the "team." He is not the only reason why the Lakers got swept in the series!
While I drive through LA I don't see the Laker flags anymore, I don't see people "rockin" the Lakers jerseys. I hear a lot of Lakers fans complaining about how we felt ripped off now because Marc Gasol, one of the players traded for Pau Gasol, is doing a lot better now in Memphis. Come on!! What I'm trying to say is remember all the good times! Remember the Pau that lead the team in rebounding, the player that averaged nearly 20 points a game during the regular season. You know how many NBA franchises would love to have a big man like Pau Gasol on their team?! The NBA still have seven franchises that haven't made it to the finals yet! I'm not counting OKC Thunders cause in my eyes and my Kevin Durant jersey hanging in my room, its still the Seattle Sonics. These seven franchises Bobcats, Nuggets, Clippers, Grizzles, Timberwolves, Hornets, and Raptors still haven't been to the NBA finals yet and Pau helped us get to three.

Yes, Pau didn't post the usual numbers we expect out of him, but to bury him and send him away to another team? "With the player that I am and that I consider myself to be, there's going to come a lot of expectations, a lot of demands, and once those expectations are not exceeded or achieved then there's going to be criticism," he said Tuesday in El Segundo during his exit interview.  "The thing that makes me the angriest is me not playing at my best. Me not being able to help my team accomplish its goals. That's what makes me the angriest."What it boils down to is this, Pau is a great PF, one of the best in the league. He is a four time nba all star and a two time all nba third team. Give him some credit people!! Does this post season undo everything he did for the city of LA?! I, personally, hope not but whatever Mitch Kupchak decides what he wants to do for the Lakers franchise this off season I'm confident that it'll be a positive move for both today and for the future. This is what Fisher had to say about the "Pau situation."


"I feel like we- I don't read as much and listen to as much- no disrespect to any of you guys- as much of the news and articles and blogs and the radio and all those things, so I don't think I or we as a team fully understood the things that were being said about what people thought was going on with Pau. And so if anything I regret, I regret the fact that I was unable to fully understand it and appreciate it and speak up sooner on his behalf, to say that just I think it was ridiculously wrong to assume some of the things that were being assumed, and place the burden of how successful we were or were not on his shoulders."

"Had we just kept winning, there wouldn't have been much for people to say. I don't know Jason Kidd ended up shooting for the series, but nobody's talking about that because his team won four games. Statistics don't always tell you what's going on out there. I just think that Pau got way too much heat for statistically what he was or wasn't doing, and I just wish as a team we could have done more around him so that the burden wouldn't have just been all on his shoulders the way that it was," he said.


No comments:

Post a Comment