Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cleveland's time to shine

Time to shine Cleveland fans!
WOW... here we go again.. another draft.. another moment for David Stern to announce, "With the first pick in this years NBA draft the Cleveland Cavaliers select ______" and that's where we will be filling in the circle. A year after the misery to what came out of "The Decision", Cleveland fans could finally have a sigh of relief. Instead of waiting for the next several years for the team to slowly rebuilt, you have both the first and fourth overall pick!! This is great news for a franchise that was the best Eastern conference team one year to the worst team in just a year! "It’s just kind of ironic after everything that happened, with over the last few years and last summer, how we had the best record the last two years and close to the worst record this year and we all know what happened in between, just to sit up here and kind of get a fresh start all over again," Gilbert said of the Cavaliers getting the No. 1 pick. When asked on he felt about getting the first overall pick with the Clippers pick via the trade with Baron Davis, "When we took that on, we said the only way to really build here is to get big players early on in the draft," Gilbert said. "I guess you couldn’t do any better than this. I guess you could (get) 1 and 2, but we’ll take 1 and 4."



In my opinion you have to take Kyrie Irving with the first overall pick. Now I know what your thinking Cleveland fans, Kyrie Irving is no Lebron James, and I totally agree. He does too, "I don’t think you could actually make comparisons to me and LeBron, because 1) I’m not 6-8, and 2) I’m not a high flyer. And 3) my name isn’t LeBron James. I don’t think you can make those comparisons yet – I think I bring a different feel to the Cleveland organization if they do decide to pick me there." Keep one thing in mind though, this league is built around great point guards and coming from a Baron Davis fan myself, Kyrie Irving is the future in this franchise. Too much hype for a guy that barely played any college ball this season? Maybe, but do you select him first or do you select Derrick Williams? I believe Derrick Williams would be a great PF in the league but you already have one with JJ Hickson who I truly believe is very under rated. Yes there will be a log jam in the PG position in your team but Kyrie Irving will be your future Cleveland fans. He could penetrate the ball, is a great athlete with excellent quickness, pure point guard (which is very hard to find) and shows great balance with scoring and passing. You could focus on other positions if you could pull off a good trade with Baron Davis involved. "Honestly, if Cleveland does pick me, I think I would bring a lot to the team, diversity and versatility and contribute the best that I can," he said.

On a side note, Nick Gilbert, what a great story. Nick Gilbert who was born with neurofibromatosis, a nerve disorder that causes tumors to grow in the body at any time, and is an ambassador for the Children’s Tumor Foundation became Cleveland's lucky charm when he represented the Cavaliers up on the big stage. A lot of people felt bad for the city of Cleveland, not just because of the history of the sports franchises, but the year they went through. From losing Lebron on live television, then losing a NBA league record of 26 consecutive games, and finally ending the season on a sad note, a record of 19-63, the worst in the Eastern conference. Great news for you Cleveland you will have another potential star player coming to you. The only question now is can Kyrie Irving really get you over the hump and get you right back to the elite status in the very competitive Eastern conference? Keep one thing in mind Cleveland fans, the Houston Rockets were in a very similar scenario in 1983 NBA draft when they had the first and third overall pick (Ralph Sampson and Rodney McCray) and in three years they made it past the LA Lakers and into the NBA finals.. Will the same thing happen to you? Looks like we will wait and see but what a great day for you Cleveland fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment